JavaScript SDK-Facebook

Saturday, May 28, 2016

How I Was Hooked


HOW I WAS HOOKED 



So I have to come clean and tell you that I have always hated history. You know the type, fall asleep while reading textbooks in school, fall asleep when your husband puts on a 'war flick', and museums - not on the top of my fun list. 

But I am a reader and I love to learn. One book I read just has to be given some credit for 'hooking' interest in MY genealogy. The book, "Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon, is a historical fiction book mostly set in the mid-1700's of Scotland.  The story kept my interest and suddenly, Clan McGillivray enters the story involved in a major battle in Scotland. A little research on my part confirmed the facts I read in the book.  I was hooked on the book (which is an ongoing series with eight books so far and now a TV series through Starz), and hooked on finding out more about my ancestry!

I became a self-appointed McGillivray family researcher, at least from Eshcol Leroy's family line. With help, the McGillivray direct male ancestors from my line have been traced back to early 1700's in northern Scotland. And it is a HUGE family! 

As I started researching my ancestry, I began to find all the names and dates were... too much like history. Then I began finding events; much more exciting!  Events like when some family members left Scotland and took a ship to Canada. And the death of a James Mc Gillivray, age 81, who died on that ship in 1927.

I want to thank all the relatives that have shared their genealogy research on our family, that I have found so far. Specifically, Donna McGillivray, Raymond Leroy McGillivray and family, Beverly, whose mother was a McGillivray, And Gary McGillivray on Rootie along with June Leafblad. I also want to mention Facebook. Joining the  McGillivray Facebook group, plus being able to connect with each other has been a great help in finding relatives. A huge shout out to the McGillivrays in Minnesota, cousins from my Great Great Uncle Alexander.

And so, this blog is to be about, and for, all the McGillivrays,{ however you spell your last name} all over the world.  We look forward to some of your interesting stories, facts and photos too.  Please join my mom, Donna Mc and myself, Caitlin Mac in this endeavor.  Enjoy.






My son @ Culloden 


Real life - Barely 3 year old granddaughter
doesn't understand the importance of the site :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!